Pages

Monday, August 8, 2011

The Best of Friends





They say dogs are a man's best friend, and that's no lie. There are very few animals in this world as loyal as a dog. In fact, dogs are probably more loyal than most people. So it's with a heavy and sad heart that today I have to say goodbye to a dear friend. No, he's not my dog, he never was my responsibility, and sure we never saw eye to eye on everything, but what friend does, right? But Swoosh was no ordinary friend or dog, for that matter.

I think humans can learn a lot from dogs, I know I have. I've learned that sometimes, you’ve just got to take a nap, and it's OK to lick my balls in public, and if poop in the grass, most likely somebody's gonna clean it up. Not that those aren't all great things, but the most important thing I've learned is that sometimes in life, there are more important things than yourself, sometimes it's best to make other people happy, and in turn, you'll be better for it. That's what Swoosh did. I saw it many a time, as Swoosh would selflessly curl up next to someone and let them scratch his head or rub his neck. Oh sure, he's a dog, he loves to get petted, but he knew that one of life's greatest joys, is to pet a puppy dog.

If you had a chance to know him, you know exactly what I'm talking about, and you know there was no better feeling than when he purred like a cat when you would pet him. I bet, if you ever spent any time with him, what so ever, you probably walked away feeling a little better, a little happier. That's what dogs do, and that's what Swoosh did, more so than any other. Now the time has come to tell him goodbye. True, it's a sad day when you have to say goodbye, but it's also a joyous thing to celebrate the life of someone, or something so warm and caring. Some will say he's just a dog, and I will counter with, "there's no such thing." Have you ever owned a dog, have you ever looked into their eyes?” They aren't cat's, there's a soul in there, and any person looking can see that. That's why they are man's best friend, because if you love them, they will love you back, whole heartedly and without prejudice.

I never knew a more loving person or animal in my life, and I've never seen one loved more in return. I feel honored that I got to know him and love him, and even though he wasn't my dog, he will always be my friend.

JLP

No comments:

Post a Comment